This course allows you to visit “Yagyu,” the place of master swordsmen, out from which spreads the landscape of a mountain village. High points of this trip are the family temple of the Yagyu clan with their tombs, the residence of the chief retainer of the Domain Lord, and a huge stone just split in two called “Ittoseki.”
(Huge stone cut in
half by a sword)
Ruins of Yagu’s
Feudal Lord: Jinya
Residence of the
Yagyu Domain Chief Retainer
Total distance of the course: Approx. 5 km
Required time： Approx. 1 hour and 10 minutes (Excluding the time required for traveling by bus and touring)
|Location||：491 Yagyushimo-cho, Nara City|
|Opening Hours||：Open 365 days a year from 9:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. (It is possible to leave the parking area after 5:00 p.m.)|
(Once per day)
|：Ordinary, small and light vehicles: 600 yen|
|Contact||：(Designated Administrator) Yagyu Tourist Association (0742-94-0002)
(Section in Charge) Tourism Promotion Section (0742-34-5135)
Take a bus for Yagyu, Ooji-nakamura, and Ishiuchi (Tsukigase) from JR/Kintetsu Nara Station (Approx. 50 minutes)
Founded by Munenori Yagyu to pray for the soul of his father, Sekishusai, in 1638. Since then, Hotokuji has been the family temple of the Yagyus. Their tombs are behind the main hall, where statues of Shaka Nyorai, Munenori, and the Buddhist priest Takuan are situated.
At the back of Amanoiwatate Shrine, there is an approximately 7-meter-square huge stone just vertically split in two. This area is said to have been a place of discipline for the Yagyu family, and there is a legend that Sekishusai Yagyu slashed this stone, regarding it as a long-nosed goblin called tengu.
The government office was built by Munenori Yagyu in 1642, but burned down due to a fire in 1747. Although it was temporarily built, it was demolished due to abolition of the domain system at the beginning of the Meiji period. Today the site is developed as a park and used as a rest stop on the Yagyu Highroad.
This was the residence of Shurei Oyamada, chief retainer of the Yagyu Domain, who put much effort into financial reconstruction of the Domain at the end of the Edo period. In 1964, it was possessed by Sohachi Yamaoka, novelist, but was donated to Nara City after he passed away. Today it is open to the public together with exhibited armor and materials related to the Yagyu family.